Monday, July 4, 2011

Showreels Elite Scenes are back!


On the weekend of the 25 & 26th June, Wizard Corporation Productions relaunched “Showreels Elite Scenes” with director Mark DeFriest, with a very successful shoot for four actors with six scenes in total, after a year break.

It was four years ago that I came up with the crazy idea to present professional showreel scenes with a professional Director. Perth had nothing like that.  This amateur filmmaker, still experimenting, walked up to a professional Director named Mark DeFriest and put forward a verbal proposal.  He was intrigued, liked my attitude and passion and said…"Let’s give it a go".  Did he just say yes?  Oh! What do I do now?

What I did was go into speed learning mode and my knowledge of film making and the industry jumped three levels in just a few weeks. Mark certainly tested me during this time and I guess I must have passed as he kept working for me.  We ran three showreel sessions over the three years, improving every time but still battling to find a way to provide quality scenes and keeping it to a fee that was affordable for Perth actors. Unfortunately I found that it was not possible to have a professional Director and a quality scene with the prices we were charging and I realised Perth was not quite ready yet, so I put the project on hold.  


First Scenes of day one - Actor: Matt Elverd.
(Screen shot)
Now in 2011, it seems Perth maybe catching on…..Film making is expensive.  Elite Scenes was not even advertised and we had six actor clients wanting scenes filmed.  Unfortunately I could only take four clients as two of those clients wanted two scenes.  So the fun started.

It was a successful showreel shoot with Mark DeFriest directing, incorporating the acting coaching talents of Fern Nicholson and Noel O’Neill into the actor’s preparation. This was a way to give the actors a start with meeting their partners and getting an idea of their characters.

I wrote the scripts according to the actor’s type and ability.  A mixture of comedy, drama and emotional scenes, one involving a Karma Sutra mug which was fun to write and film.

As producer, the showreels shoot becomes rather challenging to organise.  Finding a good crew that Mark would be able to work with is not always easy as he needs to be able to concentrate on directing and he is always on a tight schedule.  At the same time my company is dedicated to giving up and coming talent opportunities. So it is up to me to find that balance, which is not always easy particularly when the work of the crew can make or break a shoot and I had Mark’s reputation to consider, my companies and the commitment to give our clients the best quality showreel possible.


The scene "Mind Games" Day two.  Actors: Matt Zappala and Cathy Prastides
With DP, Brodie Butler and Director, Mark DeFriest

(Photo by Debbie Thoy)
The Director of  Photography was first on the list and I had pretty much found him, however he had never been a DP before.  Brodie Butler is a professional photographer and amateur film maker who is only just starting out in the film area.

When I first met Brodie, which was a while ago now, there was an instant recognition and familiarity.  He had without a doubt the same professional attitude and drive I had and he was self taught, highly creative and dedicated, well prepared and learned fast. Snap!  All his work was professionally presented with attention to detail and that was enough for me to know he could do this job and I was willing to take a risk.

So I threw this poor young guy into the deep end and gave him his first DP job opposite a professional director and on a proper set. What better way to learn?  He didn’t dog paddle either, he was doing freestyle. My instincts paid off and I can say that Brodie Butler is someone to look out for in the coming years.  He did a fantastic job and problem solved with style. Of course he still has a lot to learn, but he is well on his way and I would be happy to employ him again. 

Sound of course is the other crucial factor. Well captured sound is imperative and I got recommendations and contacted a few soundies, many of whom had not long left TAFE or Uni.  I initially look for a professional attitude and the way they communicate, many failed in this first stage of the process being the first impression. On a no budget film, I am lenient, on a paid shoot, not so much.  So I managed to get someone I trusted to do a great job and that was Peter McIntosh and he never fails to perform, is professional in his approach and is fun to have on set. 

Our assistants were absolutely brilliant.  Elliott Vassila had his first ever time on a film set assisting Brodie as Camera assistant and I would never have guessed.  Sergio Zanello came on board last minute as 2nd Camera Assistant on Clapper and Sarah Filippi multi-tasked as Makeup Artist and Production Assistant.  What a hard working and intuitive team! I have never been so happy and confident with a crew (non professional).  It was a full two day shoot and they didn’t miss a beat.


A shot of the set, day two.
Actor: Jake Jensen.  On clapper: Sergio Zanello.
Makeup: Sarah Filippi and DP Brodie Butler.
(Photo by Debbie Thoy)

As producer, I was so confident, I even fell asleep, something I have never done on set before, mind you I have had an intensely insane couple of months and once I had organised everything and my adrenaline stopped pumping, so did I.  It would seem certain cheeky crew members recorded this occasion.  I was so tired, I didn’t even realise that I was falling asleep on set at one stage.  I broke my own OH&S rules on set and was promptly asked to leave by Pete. Safety always comes first.

Of course the success of the showreels really comes down to the actors and whether they can bring the performance to the table on the day.  Those who were better prepared than others would have found the process a little less stressful, others may have found themselves on the back foot a little.  Overall though, it’s all a learning curve and part of the process. There were four acting clients and six scenes to shoot, three scenes per day and it had to run to schedule.  Mark was on the ball as always and I watched the scenes I wrote come to life (when I wasn’t falling asleep).  I was impressed with the actors, most of them did come prepared and that obviously showed in their performance. Overall I think all scenes will look great and actors, director and crew should be proud of their achievements.

Now of course I start the wonderful process of editing the scenes.  I am looking forward to it, balancing that with my return to directing with a comedy short due to go into production in August and Perth Film Network Functions.  It’s going to be a busy second half of the year.

If things go to plan, then we will hopefully shoot another round of showreels in September.
THE CREW with actors from last shoot of the day.

Actor: Leon Grey, Sound: Peter McIntosh, Producer: Debbie Thoy, Actor: Matt Zappala,

Makeup: Sarah Filippi and Clapper: Sergio Zanello

DP: Brodie Butler, Director: Mark DeFriest

Actor: Cathy Prastides and Camera Assistant: Elliott Vasilla
(Photo by Brodie Butler)






No comments:

Post a Comment