Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Hiccup in the Network - Big changes on the Horizon!

Director/Producer, Mark DeFriest.  My mentor and mentor to the Perth Film Network.  Can always count on for support.
Many of you are probably wondering what is going on with the Perth Film Network, everything seems to have stopped?  Well you would be dead right, everything stopped, literally! I want to extend my sincere apologies to all my clients and to members of the Perth Film Network.  This is a temporary setback that is currently being rectified and measures applied for the problem not to arise again...Thank you all for your support and patience.


For the past 6 months I have been experiencing a major computer meltdown.  Unable to access my main computer and the information on my main drive properly.  It was a slow decay of unrelated events that sparked something that drove me and everyone insane trying to work out.  In that time, my work mounted up and past work to be delivered sat buried in my computer, taunting me and driving me to the point of throwing that "Windows" computer, right out a window and straight into the neighbours pool.  Yep that moment of satisfaction, that instantly dissolves back into reality....That didn't solve the problem. I should throw myself in the pool!  No, don't worry I am not suicidal!  But jumping into a freezing cold pool may just kick start my brain.....But I will play it safe and just swear at it instead and well as you can tell I wasn't progressing forward. I was in a frustrating limbo. Finally, however I am close to getting it all sorted and I am back online.

A few friends suggestion to solving my continued computer problem. "Get a Mac!" oh yes....Thank you :P.  For me relying on a computer is my own private hell, since once I survived and florished without one...but in todays world, that is just not possible, but I rely and spend time on it way too much.



 
The main problem I have is that the Perth Film Network is one person, in the fact that one person runs it and does all the work.  That would be me!  That applies to Wizard Corporation Productions also.  Yes, I hire contractors for jobs/teaching, but overall, it's all little ole me!  So when something of this magnitude goes wrong, the work piles up in front of and around me like the grand Canyon. It would seem that when you are in a negative space...that negative energy expands rather fast!  But it's also a realisation that it is time to expand my resources.  At this time I am madly editing and moving through the back log,  it is hoped that I will have the bulk of the work out by the middle of next week.

At the worst time possible, I had to go into production for my film "The Manuscript"  This due to commitments to sponsors and locations.  From day one a hail storm of bad luck hit the film and it became an uphill battle of personal cast and crew disasters, crew withdrawals due to "Drift" and other issues that brought me back to actively being Producer and Director at the same time, which of course is not advisable as both these jobs are full time jobs in their own right, however it's about whatever it takes.  It boiled down to if I don't have a cast and crew and a functioning set...then there is nothing to direct.  So Producing unfortunately took precedence to Directing, which defeated the whole point of this film for me, there is just no successful balance in this situation. But that was my own personal goal not achieved and there will be other opportunities.

This film represented something positive though, it was a huge wake up call for me and was certainly a learning curve.  It embodied my past, my present and my future.  Sounds bizarre I know, but very true.  This film and the way things were running took me back 5 years, I felt I had gone backwards, I was right back at the beginning, it was the fact that I recognised that which was important.  Then there was the present, dealing with the problems as they arose and watching much of the crew pull together to make it work and my future......where I really should be now!  Realisation.  I was standing still! I should have trusted my abilities more.  However, thanks to certain dedicated cast and crew, the most generous people I have ever met and sheer determination, this film will be completed and will be 40 minutes of crazy fun.



Myself and DP, Brodie Butler on the set of "THE MANUSCRIPT" (Photo by Ian Greenwell)
It was something a friend said a few days ago that changed a current mind set. This friend made me realise something, even though I knew it,  but sometimes you just need someone else to show you or tell you.  He had no idea that he had even said or done anything of importance, he was just being him.  What he said doesn't really matter, but this guy was, to me,  a representation of everything I used to be and made me realise that I am still that person, just a little tired, however it was time to start doing things for me and not just for others or for the sake of believing I should do it and a lot of those things I had set up myself. I will help anyone who is genuine and passionate about what they do, will go out of my way actually....but I will not carry anyone, no piggy backs here.

This event of crazy bad luck has forced the Perth Film Network into restructure, which is very positive.  I created the Perth Film Network in early 2009, after a number of years marketing the Perth film community.  I set up a 5 year plan which got a little off track the past 12 months.  But it's back on track now.  The Network has always been about creating opportunities for yourself and working together to empower what could be a fantastic Film Industry here in Perth.  Since 2009, the Perth Film scene has grown, but we are nowhere near close to being called an Industry.  The aim of the Perth Film Network will always be the same and I will be working for the next 6 months to realise my vision for this Network and you will just have to wait and see what it is all about when we officially launch in 2012.  In the meantime the Network will be a little quiet, while I give myself room to breath and create.  The facebook pages are still available for you to network and the Networking Functions, which are also metamorphosing into something bigger and better in the remaining two events for the year, will go ahead as scheduled. Hopefully the all new website will be up and running by the beginning of 2012. The next Networking Function is on the 24th of October at the Empyrean Function Centre, Northbridge and will see the intergration of businesses into the networking mix, so I hope to catch up with everyone there.




The Perth Film Networking Functions are branching out to include businesses.  Next Function is the 24th October.

For all my babbles in this post, that explains maybe a little bit of what has been happening in my crazy world, the true message here is simply to do what is right by you and don't get lost in all the hype or expectations of others.  This is your journey.  I have never been one to do things by the book or by halves as there are always other and better ways to do things, not just one way.  I have always stood by this, I follow my instincts and lately I have not been doing that.  Do that people, strive to be who you are, no matter what and look after your health.

Be the best you can be.

Debbie.

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    I would like to volunteer as your assistant to help you with these matters please. Email me at filmtvandlife@gmail.com. I also have a very mediocre blog of the same name. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete